The Godalming Joint Burial Committee is made up from two constituent bodies, The Godalming Town Council and Busbridge Parish Council. The committee has 6 members from the Town Council and 2 members from Busbridge Parish Council. It is responsible for the proper operation and management of Nightingale and Eashing cemeteries.
In 1854, due to a lack of space in the churchyard of St Peter and St Paul's church, the Godalming Church Vestry committee was formed, later to become the Joint Burial committee. Their aim was to develop a new burial ground in Godalming. The result of their efforts was the creation of Nightingale cemetery, which opened for burials in 1857.
Due to the rapid growth of Godalming's population in the 19th century, there became the need to find another cemetery.
In 1893, 20 acres of land on a hilltop to the South of Godalming was purchased. This was the start of the Eashing cemetery. In recent years great improvements have been made to the cemetery grounds and buildings, due to the continuing efforts of the Joint Burial Committee.
The two cemeteries offer traditional grave spaces, a natural burial ground and gardens of remembrance. Both Nightingale and Eashing are open to those of any faith or no faith.
For more details visit the Godalming Joint Burial Committee web site.
The Joint Burial Committee latest financial accounts may be viewed here.